Re: multiwindow X11 and Emacs

Ken Brown <kbrown <at> cornell.edu> writes:

> I can't reproduce this on my system.  I'm running 64-bit Windows 7,
> emacs-24.2-1, the latest Cygwin snapshot (2012-08-27), and the test
> version of the X server (1.13.0-1).  Here's what I tried:

Same setup as mine except 32-bit Win7/Enterprise.

> 1. Start mintty from the "Cygwin Terminal" shortcut.
>
> 2. $ startxwin
>
> 3. [still in the mintty window] $ DISPLAY=:0 emacs -Q&

I've tested this both with bash and tcsh, BTW since tcsh's signal handling is
apparently different from bash.

> 4. In the resulting emacs window, C-z.
>
> 5. Left click on the emacs icon to de-iconify emacs.
>
> The cursor blinks and emacs responds to keyboard input.

This is what doesn't work here.  That is when I start the X server from another
mintty than the one that the X server is started from or when the shell is tcsh.
 So if I extend your case with:

6. Start another mintty

7. DISPLAY=:0 emacs -Q&

8. In the resulting emacs window, C-z.

9. Left click on the emacs icon to de-iconify emacs.

The cursor doesn't blink and emacs doesn't respond to keyboard input.

What do you get?

> P.S. Shouldn't this discussion be taking place on the cygwin-xfree list?

I thought about it, but I suspect that signal handling is involved and hence
cygwin1.dll.  Within the X server itself there seems to be no problem but maybe
I didn't try the correct sequence of events yet.

Regards,
Achim.