Re: Strange "mouse" behavior in mintty

On 14 August 2012 04:43, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> On 13/08/2012 10:04 PM, Herbert Stocker wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ryan,
>>
>> On 13.08.2012 15:33, Ryan Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm hitting  a mouse-related (?) problem with mintty in non-mouse mode.
>>>
>>> STC A: Log into a remote machine, invoke `sleep 10', and -- during the
>>> wait --- click anywhere on the line containing the cursor.
>>>
>>> STC B: Open tinyirc and click anywhere on the text entry line at the
>>> bottom
>>>
>>> Both cases will insert a long string like this:
>>> ^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C (only about 4x longer)
>>
>> Did you notice that when you click somewhere in the command line, the
>> cursor moves
>> to that position? i think it has to do with that.
>>
>> Go to the options dialog, select "Mouse" and uncheck "Clicks place command
>> line cursor".
>> The effect should go away.
>
> Yes, that's the feature I was saying is probably related (see quote below).
> I don't want to disable it because it's immensely useful... I just don't
> want it dumping a mountain of ^[[C escapes at odd times.

The feature is a hack, which is why it's off by default. Mintty simply
sends the number of arrow left/right keypresses that it thinks should
take the cursor to the right position, whereby ^[[C is the keycode for
arrow right. Obviously this relies on the application handling such
keypresses in the expected way.

However, are you finding that the arrow keys work where the mouse
feature doesn't? I think there is a problem with mintty here actually,
in that it doesn't take account of application cursor key mode when
sending those mouse events. (In that mode, the arrow left/right
keycodes change to ^[OD and ^[OC.)

Andy