Re: Oddity with cygport, debuginfo generation, and rxvt-unicode

On 2012-08-21 12:20, Charles Wilson wrote:
While rebuilding rxvt-unicode, I saw the following error during 'cygport
install':

Preparing debuginfo source files:
realpath: unknown option -- p
Try `realpath --help' for more information.
	80 files
Preparing executables for UAC:

A little debugging showed that realpath is being invoked during src_postinstall here:

line 978:do
                  # make sure that paths with '../' don't leave srcdir
                  case $(realpath -m ${dbgsrc}) in
                          ${dbgsrcdir}/*) ;;
                          *)  continue ;;
                  esac

srcf=${dbgsrc#${dbgsrcdir}/}

FWIW, readlink is now used in git instead of realpath, as the latter is not available in Fedora 16 or EL6, but the result should be the same.

I see that this line is hit many times, but here is the relevant sequence:

realpath -m <iom_perl.xs
realpath -m -pe
realpath: unknown option -- p
Try `realpath --help' for more information.
realpath -m s/IOM_MODULE/urxvt/g,s/IOM_CLASS/urxvt/g
realpath -m |
realpath -m /usr/src/debug/rxvt-unicode-X-9.07-2/src/../libev/ev++.h

Although only the second of these lines triggers the error message, each
of the first four is problematic.

This looks like a bug in gcc/binutils to me; debug src paths shouldn't
include pipe line shell commands, should they?

Not AFAIK. That is very odd, but I am able to duplicate it with your current package.

In the meantime, I think a fix like this for cygport would be appropriate:

Could you confirm that just this change fixes this:

-          case $(realpath -m ${dbgsrc}) in
+          case $(readlink -m -- "${dbgsrc}") in

...although I'm not sure if this might cause a problem if a filename
actually contains a shell redirection metacharacter (and the originating
project is always careful to appropriate quote that filename).

And when was the last time you saw that?

Yaakov