Re: Question about UAC and bash/cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Aug 16 07:06, Lord Laraby wrote:
  My, major emphasis is recognizing in the Cygwin dll
or startup code somewhere) that the user has full Administrator rights
and simply replacing his normal UID with 0 (or that of whomever root
seems to be by /etc/passwd). Internally (at cygwin.dll level) he/she
is still the same user, but the desired effects would be that bash and
others might change his prompt to '#' and that scripts can check for
admin rights and files he/she created would become owned by UID 0 (or
the Administrators group).
What is it good for to have uid 0?  You want to know if you have admin
rights, so why don't you simply check for the admin group in the
supplementary group list?

Here's what I do in my tcsh ~/.cshrc profile to set the prompt:

id -G | egrep -q '\<544\>' && set prompt = '# || set prompt = '\$ '

I use this simple check which does not depend on /etc/group contents:

test -r /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SECURITY && PS1='# ' || PS1='$ '

Relies on the fact that Cygwin (unlike most non-Cygwin programs) enables SeBackupPrivilege if available.

See also: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-02/msg00806.html

Christian