Re: crash on latest cygwin snapshot

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 04:02:28PM -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 11:41:19PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 11:05:10PM -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 09:14:50PM +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
Christopher Faylor writes:
Just to be clear: Is this with the recent snapshot?

Yes, this is with the 2012-08-01 snapshot.

I ask because one other "I see something similar" seemed to come from
1.7.16.

I'm almost always running a snapshot, but I can back it out to vanilla Cygwin or any other snapshot if it helps finding the error. I don't think I've had any other updates except mesa inbetween switching from the snapshot I used before and the current one ??? but that is circumstancial evidence only.

It would be interesting to see if you or Ken have a problem with the 20120730 snapshot.

And, if so, then an strace would probably be useful, although it would
be huge.  If you do get one, let me know how to download it or I can
provide temporary storage somewhere.

I do have the same problem with the 20120730 snapshot. I started emacs in an xterm window, attached strace, and walked away. This time it didn't take long for emacs to crash, so the strace output isn't huge:

wget http://sanibeltranquility.com/cygwin/strace.out

Thanks. I think I see the problem but I won't be able to get to it tonight.

It's in the new signal handling code.

I was actually able to duplicate this fairly easy. It took me too long to realize that I had to run the X version of emacs, when that should have been obvious from the strace.

I have uploaded a new snapshot which should fix the problem.

Can you confirm Ken?

I'm testing. It looks good so far, but I'd like to get emacs running without a crash for 24 hours before I'm confident. I'll report back tomorrow.

I'm also testing to see if the recent changes have fixed the problem
that I was struggling with in
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2012-04/msg00048.html .  That also
looks good so far.

Well, fingers crossed, but I'm not aware of anything which would fix what you describe there.

Everything still looks good, including the version built with gsettings support. I don't know what fixed the latter, unless maybe it was the /etc problem. Anyway, thanks to you and Corinna for whatever you did.

Ken