Re: automatically using pipe_byte for certain EXE's

On 7/26/12 9:34 AM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> Daniel Colascione wrote:
>> I still don't know why anyone wouldn't want to use pipe_byte all the time.
>
> I think that was covered pretty explicitly by cgf in reply to you some time
> ago:

Cygwin still uses message pipes for ptys in pipe_byte mode, so the
first of cgf's reasons doesn't apply. As for the way message pipes
"more closely mimic" Linux pipes: I don't see it. What's the
difference? And does it matter in practice? Can someone give me an
actual example of a problem caused by using byte pipes in the non-pty
case? I'm not aware of any.

Since message pipes cause problems _in practice_ and byte pipes (which
Cygwin lived with for many years) don't seem to cause problems _in
practice_, pipe_byte should go away and pipe_byte behavior should be
used unconditionally.