Re: Open URLs with # using cygstart.exe

On 13/07/2012 9:02 AM, Alexander Konovalov wrote:
Thanks for replies. I am running 64-bit Windows 7, Cygwin 1.7.11 (2012-02-24).
The default browser is Chrome, but I've tried with Firefox and InternetExplorer -
same result whenever I'm using single quotes or not with each of the three
browsers. Remote URLs indeed work fine. With the local URL address line of the
browser contains truncated URL without '#...' part so maybe cygstart parses
its argument differently dependently whether it starts with file:// or http://?
Just say no to http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU

Also, you've got a fairly old version of cygwin there...

Cygstart does not actually parse general URIs. For a long time it had a special case that tested explicitly for `http:', and recently added `mailto:' after a similar issue arose [1]. Ironically, most URIs seem to work precisely because cygstart *doesn't* know what to do with them and passes them along as-is, giving Windows a chance to do the right thing.

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-03/msg00810.html
Ryan