Re: How to I generate a hyper or super modifier in cygwin emacs under X

On 15/03/2012, at 3:41 AM, Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:

> On 14/03/2012 16:03, Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 3/14/2012 7:19 AM, Leo wrote:
>>> I try to set up emacs in a way that I can use key bindings like H-x
>>> (Hyper + character x).

> This is the wrong approach.  Changing the mod which Alt_R accesses doesn't
> change the keysym which Alt_R.
>
> If you peruse the xkeyboard-config manual page, you'll find a couple of
> options which relate to mapping keys to hyper/super, which you can use.
>
> e.g. if you start the X server with the additional option '-xkboptions
> caps:hyper' (or run 'setxkbmap -option caps:hyper' after starting the X
> server), then the capslock key generates the Hyper_L keysum)
>
> (Note that mapping the Windows keys to hyper also requires the -keyhook
> option, so that the X server sees those keys before the Windows shell)
>
> (If these mapping options available in xkeyboard-config don't meet your needs,
> you'll have to customize them)

Hi Jon

Great info! With the help of setkbmap and the config files I was able to map Alt to Hyper. Thx heaps!

> Alternatively, google seems to suggest you could set the emacs variables
> x-hyper-keysym, x-super-keysym etc. in some fashion to get emacs to recognize
> other keysyms as hyper or super keys.

x-hyper-keysym doesn't seem to work for me: the modifier keys pribably don't get passed through to emacs so that it can handle them.

But setkbmap did the job!

Leo