Re: add -debuginfo packages

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 04:47:48PM +0000, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 21/08/2009 00:40, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
On 04/08/2009 13:58, Reini Urban wrote:
Rather than stripping our exe's and dll's I suggest to strip the debug
info into
seperate /usr/lib/debug/path/file.dbg and package them seperately in -debuginfo
packages such as with fedora.
FWIW, attached is the patch I've been using to do this, based on Reini's
patch, updated to address some of your concerns.

This can, as you suggested, strip the symbols to a location outside of ${D}
and create a single debuginfo package containing those symbols for each cygport.

I know that support for these packages in upset and setup has been rejected by
cgf, but it's still useful to me to keep the debuginfo for the packaged builds
of Xwin around.
I can see why it would be useful but why do we need to change anything?
Why can't you just release a xorg-server-debuginfo package and have
people install that when you want them to collect debugging?
If they have to install a different binary then the existing stack trace is no longer useful. Especially if the "debug" package had different optimization levels and makes a heisenbug disappear.

Ryan