Re: Putty and pre-shared keys with Cygwin's sshd

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Andrew DeFaria  wrote:

>>> Could you be a bit more vague! ;-)
>>
>> The sshd manpage contains a chapter about the layout of the
>> authorized_keys file. ?So what else do you expect?
>
> Why more vagueness of course. Otherwise you might be seen as being directly
> helpful and we wouldn't want that! (For the sarcasm impaired :-))

Strike 1.

>>> Look, the public key that puttygen saves looks like the above. It's
>>> multilined. That's why I asked "Does OpenSSH accept these multiline
>>> keys". You could answer that question but instead you give me a
>>> cryptic reference. From what I read there no it doesn't accept such
>>> keys and I didn't think it did. Can you see my confusion here?!?
>>
>> No. ?The man page is pretty clear on this.
>
> Then your being dense or dishonest. People get confused. You can help by
> explaining things instead of just pointing.

Strike 2.

>>> Geeze! The man page is saying it's gotta be one line but puttygen is
>>> giving me multiple lines. Hence confusion so I asked a question
>>> which you could have simply answered directly rather than
>>> indirectly.
>>
>> Fish - fishing.
>
> I know how to fish already.

I have my doubts about that.

> Would it kill you to be nice and say something
> like "No it has to be one line. You must be using the wrong key"???

Let me rephrase:

Andrew: I have a Putty key and it has multiple lines. It does not work
with sshd.
Corinna: Read the manual of sshd. It has a section on the format of
authorized_keys
man page:
AUTHORIZED_KEYS FILE FORMAT
     AuthorizedKeysFile specifies the file containing public keys for public
     key authentication; if none is specified, the default is
     ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.  Each line of the file contains one key (empty
     lines and lines starting with a `#' are ignored as comments).    (snip)

     Note that lines in this file are usually several hundred bytes long (snip)

Corinna showed you where to find the information which would have
allowed you to reach this conclusion yourself:
"I have a multiline file"  and  "sshd expects keys in a single line"
=> the key is in wrong format.
This is what she meant by "teaching to fish". You are complaining that
she didn't give you a fish outright ("the key is in wrong the
format").

> You really should work on your people skills. I sure I'm not the first to
> mention this.

Strike 3.

As a matter of fact, you _are_ the first to mention this:

http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=%22people+skills%22+Corinna&cmd=Search!&form=extended&m=all&ps=10&fmt=long&wm=wrd&sp=1&sy=1&wf=2221&type=&GroupBySite=no&ul=%2Fml%2Fcygwin%2F%25

Attacking people who _are_ trying to help you is not going to win you friends.

Csaba