Re: Starting Z-shell via telnet connection to XP box

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 08:09:18AM -0800, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Because ssh will allow you to forward X11 (WinSSHD?)

Yes.

> Because ssh allows you to tunnel things if you want (WinSSHD?)

Yes.

> Because with OpenSSH properly configured you get scp and sftp pretty much
> for free.

I don't use either feature :-)

> Because you don't need to then get, install, config, update, etc. a bunch
> of individualized packages all over the place!

Like I mentioned, I did a search of the packages and got fooled and didn't
notice that the website only lists the first 30.  If the website did what
other sites do, and that is have multiple pages, I would have gone thru
the other pages and seen openssh.

> Never understood why people do this. They get Putty (which, AFAICT, doesn't
> play well with the concept of pre-shared ssh keys (in a Unix sense) and
> doesn't give you scp, etc.) and then get some paid for X server like
> Reflections/X or something like that, then get some WinFTP server and
> WinCVS thingy, etc. Why do you want to mess with all of these non-unix, non
> integrated and sometimes shell out $$ to piece together something when all
> of that is available inside Cygwin and they all "play well together"???

My main server is Solaris x86, soon to be replaced with Linux Fedora 14.
Cygwin is placed on the two XP boxes that deal with satellite feed capture,
editing and rendering.  Con is my friend, as well as the Z-shell scripts that
I have to do various jobs.

I have puTTy on my laptop, which is what I use to get into my Solaris server
when I am away.  Don't do X as the DSL outbound speed is too damn slow. I
do everything via text.  It is all I need.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot@vidiot.com | vidiot@vidiot.net            /~\ The ASCII
[I've been to Earth.  I know where it is.         ]      \ / Ribbon Campaign