Re: Problems with updating nearly any package meant for Cygwin or using packages such as libtool

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> On 11/15/2011 2:28 PM, viper_88 wrote:
>> The avalanche of my problems has started when I wanted to install
>> compat-libstdc++ 33-3.2.3. The installation failed due to the following
>> dependencies errors:
>>
>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>          /sbin/ldconfig is needed by compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>          libc.so.6 is needed by compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>          libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by
>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>          libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1) is needed by
>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>          libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3) is needed by
>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>          libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2) is needed by
>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>          libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) is needed by
>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>          libgcc_s.so.1 is needed by compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>          libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0) is needed by
>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>          libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.3) is needed by
>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>          libgcc_s.so.1(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by
>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>          libm.so.6 is needed by compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>
> Hm.  This looks to me like output of rpm or yum on a Linux system.  If
> you're trying to install Linux binary RPMs onto Cygwin, you're in for a
> world of hurt.  Cygwin != Linux.  You need to build from source on Cygwin.
>
> --
> Larry

> A: Yes.
>  > Q: Are you sure?
>  >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>  >>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?
>
> --

Hello there, Larry, and thank you for your reply.

You were right, I indeed tried to install compat-libstdc++ using an RPM
file. I am still learning Cygwin, so I wasn't sure whether it supports them
or not (and the RPM's were the first to pop when searching for any sources).
It seems, however, that now I have faced a problem with GLIBC, which is
required to update GCC, that I won't be able to deal with (and I haven't
updated libstdc++ due to this yet)...

Namely, when looking up if I had GLIBC installed, I realized that I didn't
have it at all. I found GLIBC version 2.14.1, but when I ran "./configure" I
was presented with the following message:

"You must configure in a separate build directory".

This made me to run into further research during which I found out that
GLIBC needs a temporary directory created with the "mkdir" command. I
struggled with this concept a bit, but I finally managed to create such a
directory. Then I ran the usual "./configure" command (thinking that  now
everything will work just fine) only to be presented this:

Hubert@Hubert-PC /cygdrive/c/Cygwin/usr/src/glibc-build
$ ../glibc-2.14.1/configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
configure: running configure fragment for add-on libidn
configure: running configure fragment for add-on nptl
*** The GNU C library is currently not available for this platform.
*** So far nobody cared to port it and if there is no volunteer it
*** might never happen. ÂSo, if you have interest to see glibc on
*** this platform visit
*** ÂÂÂÂhttp://www.gnu.org/software/libc/porting.html
*** and join the group of porters

Hubert@Hubert-PC /cygdrive/c/Cygwin/usr/src/glibc-build
$

I'm not sure, but I guess this ends my use of Cygwin for the purpose of
compiling THC-Hydra with its full capabilities :/ If there aren't any
options to make it work indeed, I think that the only way to accomplish my
goal (apart from a full-fetched installation of Linux on my hard drive) is
to install it on a virtual machine.

Of course, if anyone knows of a way to make GLIBC work with Cygwin, I will
be more than glad to learn it