Re: Problems with mkpasswd and mkgroup

On fr., 2011-10-14 at 10:29 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct 14 07:39, Edvardsen KÃre wrote:
> >
> > > What is the contents of the "/etc/password" and "/etc/group" files
> > > after you run the "mkpasswd/mkgroup" commands (as administrator)?
> >
> > > What user can log in, but isn't in the password file?
> >
> > > Is that user local or a domain user?
> >
> > The Windows account name with FULL admin privileges is "servicekonto" and cygwin was installed from this account which is locally on this client and NOT a domain user.
> > "kae026" is the user who can log in, but isn't in the password file.
> > "kae026" is a domain user.
> >
> > As admnistrator:
> >
> > $ mkpasswd -l -d > /etc/passwd
> > mkpasswd (427): [5] Access is denied.
> > [...]
> > $ mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group
> > mkgroup (369): [5] Access is denied.
>
> That's kind of clue, isn't it?  You local administrator account
> doesn't have the permissions to enumerate the accounts in AD.
> Add the machine to the domain if you haven't done so already,
> log in with a domain account and call `mkpasswd -d >> /etc/passwd'
> and `mkgroup -d >> /etc/group'.  Note that, depending on the
> security settings of your AD, not all domain users might have
> the permissions to enumerate domain accounts.  If you login
> with a domain admin account, you should have no problem, though.
>

> Corinna

What does it mean to enumerate an account in AD? (or what happens?)

I guess it's a bad circle if my local admin account doesn't have the
permissions to enumerate the accounts in AD , and my domain account
doesn't have the permissions to install cygwin on the machine...if I
understand this right?

KÃre