Re: cygwin started speaking German today

Hi Bruno,

On Sep  8 22:56, Bruno Haible wrote:
> > Do NOT call Windows functions in Cygwin libraries, unless
> > the lib is doing something very special which isn't provided by POSIX
> > functions.  Only call POSIX functions.  Don't mix the Cygwin and the
> > Windows environment.  Please leave the interfacing to the underlying OS
> > the sole job of Cygwin.
>
> OK, then the following four facilities are needed in Cygwin.
>
> 1) We need the name of the locale which is in effect when the user has
>    not specified environment variables.

In Fedora, for instance, the fallback is what is set as system default
in /etc/sysconfig/i18n.

In Cygwin the fallback is the system default set in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh
or /etc/profile.d/lang.csh.

Why should libintl use anything else on Cygwin, but not on Linux?

If the user wants the same locale in Cygwin as in the Win32 environment,
the user can just use the `locale -u' or `locale -s' command.  That's
why it has been added.  It is not at all the task of libintl to
override the underlying OS, and in the case of Cygwin, the underlying
OS is Cygwin, not Windows.

Corinna

Red Hat