Re: Solution to using different usernames

I was able to achieve the desired result without modifiying /etc/passwd.
What I did was expand /etc/profile.d/user.sh to:
# use Windows's USERNAME variable
USER=$USERNAME
export USER

HOME=/home/$USER
export HOME

Next I zeroed out /etc/passwd so it was a blank file. Combine these
together and SSH now found the right user. I did some testing, it turns
out that you don't really have to expand /etc/profile.d/user.sh. I think
if Cygwin doesn't get what it wants from /etc/passwd it moves to check
somewhere else. Also, I was told this might cause problems when changing
user; I've never had to change users so I don't know how to test for it.