Re: Cygwin (1.7.8 and other versions) problems with globbing when invoked from DOS/Windows with nested quotes

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 3/18/2011 2:39 PM, Alex Khripin wrote:
> If you're using a native Windows 'make' with a Cywgin shell, you're better
> off making your tools consistent. ?Quoting mechanisms for Windows do not
> align with those used by Cygwin/Linux/Unix, so things are already
> problematic.
> Passing in a DOS path to a Cygwin shell and expecting the output to be
> properly quoted for a Windows version of 'make' is just asking for trouble.
> So I'd recommend staying on one side of the fence or the other if you want
> to minimize headaches.

That's the expected - and generally reasonable - answer from the
Cygwin side, but it's worth noting that GNU make documents this combo
as being workable. From the README.W32 file in the source package:

       Good news! Make now has native support for Cygwin sh. To enable,
       define the HAVE_CYGWIN_SHELL in config.h and rebuild make
       from scratch. This version of make tested with B20.1 of Cygwin.
       Do not define BATCH_MODE_ONLY_SHELL if you use HAVE_CYGWIN_SHELL.

-dsb