directories named '...' (dotdotdot) do not work

Hello Cygwin developers,

The following fails for me (and web and list search haven't been helpful):

$ mkdir ...
$ cd ...
$ cp /usr/bin/ls.exe .
$ ./ls.exe
bash: ./ls.exe: No such file or directory

Same with code compiled in this directory.

Is this a bug or by design?

This is from an Automake test failure, where configure failed in such a
directory because the programs produced by a compilation could not be run:
<http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7849>.
I would like to know whether we can close the bug as wontfix (and skip the
test  in question on Cygwin) due to system limitations.

Thanks for maintaining Cygwin!
Ralf