Re: Invoking GUI programs over SSH

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 03:03, Michael Lutz wrote:
> Am 21.01.2011 13:06 schrieb David Antliff:
>> I suppose it's a bug with git then, since it produces CRLF files on
>> check-out (even if they were checked in as LF), [...]
>
> Seems more like a documentation misunderstanding to me:
>
> | core.autocrlf
> |
> | Setting this variable to "true" is almost the same as setting the text
> | attribute to "auto" on all files except that text files are not
> | guaranteed to be normalized: files that contain CRLF in the repository
> | will not be touched. Use this setting if you want to have CRLF line
> | endings in your working directory even though the repository does not
> | have normalized line endings. This variable can be set to input, in
> | which case no output conversion is performed.
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-config.html
>
> Don't set core.autocrlf to true if you don't want to have CRLFs in your
> files. Use "input" if you just want to avoid accidentally commit CRLFs.

That is also what I understood the behaviour to be, but Eric has just
mentioned it's possibly a bug (which is actually the first time anyone
has suggested this to me).

I do want to have CRLF endings in my files, because merge tools like
kdiff3 (on Windows) require CRLF files. We could live without kdiff3,
however changing this setting "down the track" is a harder problem to
solve than using 'set -o igncr'. All sorts of strange problems occur
if people stop using autocrlf=true. We have a very large number of
repositories and clones, making a global change difficult, but perhaps
not impossible.

In this case what it really comes down to is bash - why should bash
care if a script ends in LF or CRLF? Answer is, it doesn't, provided
you tell it not to care. I can live with that.

I haven't even begun to get into the internal git idiosyncrasies with
CRLF/LF diffs, trailing whitespace in a CRLF file, unresolvable
'modified' files that aren't, and the problems you get into when
someone 'git add's a file with the wrong case...  but I understand all
of these problems, and I have workarounds for all of them. I've also
reported them in the past, on this list.

-- David.