Re: Problem with lls command in nccftp

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 11:51:25PM +0100, gialloporpora wrote:
> Risposta al messaggio di gialloporpora :
>
> >I am using the ncftp (version 3.2.1) client installed with the Cygwin
> >environment and I have this problem.
> >
> >The FTP client works nice for me, I have only this little issue.  When I
> >try to use the lls command (it launch the ls command in my local
> >directory) this message appears:
> >
> >ncftp>  lls
> >/bin/sh: more: command not found
> >Canceled.
>
> I have another question, the command edit should be download in a
> temp directory the file and open it in an editor, if I launch it
> this is the message that appears:
>
> Set your EDITOR environment variable prior to running ncftp.
> Example for /bin/sh:
>
> EDITOR="/usr/bin/vi" ; export EDITOR
>
> Where I configure this variable? I could use an editor not included
> in the cygwin package (for example I use Crimson Editor to edit all
> my files)

Hello,

The "more" pager is included in util-linux:

$ cygcheck -f $(which more) $(which ncftp)
ncftp-3.2.1-1
util-linux-2.17.2-1

To configure the EDITOR enviroment variable, do as the message says:

$ EDITOR="/usr/bin/vi" ; export EDITOR

or, simply:

$ export EDITOR="/usr/bin/vi"

You can also set it in your shell startup file at
${HOME}/.bashrc if you are using bash.

Regarding the last question, my advice would be to use an editor that
can be launched within the shell (vi, nano, ed, ...), but you could try to
export EDITOR="/cygdrive/c/Program Files/path/to/editor", for example, and
see what happens. You probably won't go back to ncftp after editing the
file, but I haven't actually checked that.