Re: control key stops working

On 11/18/2010 10:16 AM, Jay Foad wrote:
Hi,

I'm using emacs in console mode in Cygwin 1.7 on Windows 7 Ultimate.
Every so often I do something, or something happens, that stop my
Control key from working the way I expect. Even if I exit emacs, the
Control key is still behaving strangely at my bash prompt. The only
way I've found to fix it is to close the Cygwin window and start a new
one.

What do you mean by "console mode"? Do you mean you're working in the Cygwin console? If so, are you following the suggestions made in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/emacs.README? Have you tried starting emacs with 'emacs -Q' to rule out problems with your initialization files? Finally, please follow the problem-reporting guidelines at

http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Normal behaviour: Ctrl-A goes to start of line, Ctrl-E goes to end of line, etc.

Weird behaviour: Ctrl-A, Ctrl-B, Ctrl-D, Ctrl-E and loads of others
just print a single question-mark. Ctrl-C seems to work normally. Some
other Ctrl-letter combinations print other funny characters.

Ken