Re: simplifying rebaseall

On 9/17/2010 1:38 PM, Al wrote:
Hi,

I appreciate you take the time to contribute all that information.
Hope it is not only red by me.

Now, surely that is a lot of hunting around -- but I can only assume that many people did so, since you are apparently the first person to fail to locate the documentation when faced with the question "How do I run rebaseall"?

I wasn't faced with that question. I was face with error messages. Google guided me by this messages (and many others) to exactly this blog first:

http://www.mylifestartingup.com/2009/04/fatal-error-unable-to-remap-to-same.html

... not to Cygwin list, not to the readme, not to the FAQ. The blog
rather tells how to run rebaseall not much why. The comments document
well that many people follow that advice without any knowledge of any
readme. You don't even find the word readme on that blog.

But we have no control over that obviously. I think it's important to recognize when you go searching for information, it makes sense to weigh what you find against its source and consider the project's source as a more definitive and complete set of information. Obviously, there's nothing wrong with searching anywhere and everywhere for some clue about a problem. But information that comes from sites that are obviously not the project's site, cygwin.com in this case, is also a clue that further research using the project's resources and the new found data is a good idea.

There's no question that there is quite a leap from the error message given
to the fact that rebasing is a possible solution (and not the only possible
solution - see <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA> for another).  A FAQ
entry about the remap error message would probably help some at least.
Over time, the hope is that package rebuilding helps make this even less of
a problem.  But it is a pain regardless without a great solution.

Holliston, MA 01746