Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Update on status of make-3.82 release for cygwin

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 02:04:47PM -0700, Rob Walker wrote:
On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 01:13:41PM -0700, Rob Walker wrote:

On Cygwin, make-3.82 supports DOS paths by default.  I'm curious about
what work might be involved in re-enabling the --ms-dos option, and I'd
like to help, if I can.

I built my Cygwin make-3.82 packages directly from the upstream release
tarball using the attached script.

I don't need help. I've been building make for years so I obviously
don't need your script.
Sorry for the confusion: I was not offering my script as "hey look,
here's how you do it", I was more saying "I did it this way, but maybe
that's too simple. What else is involved, and can I help with that?"
Once again: Don't need help.

If you are thinking about maintaining a cygwin package then watch what
is being discussed in cygwin-apps

I am thinking about maintaining a Cygwin package. I have re-subscribed to cygwin-apps to try to get de-noobed.

and read the "Cygwin Packages" link on
the Cygwin web site.

I've read that page pretty closely. The result was my construction and offer of make-3.81-4 Cygwin packages to address the lack of support for colons in paths, and later, make-3.82 Cygwin packages.

If you have a general question about cygwin
packages then ask it.

My general question was: "What requirements does a package maintainer need to consider, what tests must pass, etc. when constructing a Cygwin package from an upstream release?" The answer (which I am paraphrasing from Larry Hall's response on the matter) seems to be basically: "Whatever the package maintainer thinks is right."

-Rob