Re: Weird directories on Windows share when using rm to delete a directory

On Jul  2 08:11, Slide wrote:
> <snip>
>

> > So, IIUC, youre'saying that the directories get renamed to this
> > temporary name, but they never disappear after rm -rf? ÂAre you
> > sure that no other process is accessing them?
> >
> > Does Cygwin recognize the drive as netapp if you add a mount point for
> > it? ÂHow to check: ÂIf the drive has been mounted with a drive letter,
> > say X:, what does `mount' print as drive type of /cygdrive/x? ÂOr, if
> > the drive is used via UNC path, just mount it temporarily like this:
> >
> > $ mount -f //server/share /mnt
> >
> > And see what a `mount' command prints for the .mnt mount point:
> >
> > $ mount
> >

> > Corinna
> >

> I'm pretty sure there are no other processes accessing the files.
>
> $ mount
> Y: on /cygdrive/y type netapp (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>
> So, yes, it does see it as a netapp. Now, from my horrible memory, it
> _seems_ like this started happening when we upgraded to Cygwin 1.7
> from Cygwin 1.5. I don't know that for sure though, it just _seems_
> that that is what happened.

This funtionality wasn't available in 1.5, so, yes, this would only
have started with 1.7.

So it seems that these netapp drives somehow don't understand the
entirely normal FileDispositionInformation method, or they ignore it for
some unknown reason.

Unfortunately the strace from your OP isn't helpful since it
only contains the deletion of a single file.  What would help is
an strace of a rmdir or rm -rf(*) of a directory which then creates
one of those temporary directories.  There are lots of potential
debug messages wqhich might sched a light here.

Corinna

(*) If possible with not more than a single file in the dir, so that
    the strace doesn't become too big.

Red Hat