Re: Weird directories on Windows share when using rm to delete a directory

On Jul  1 20:03, Slide wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin)
> <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
> > On 7/1/2010 5:52 PM, Slide wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> What sort of information would you need for the share? I believe it is
> >> actually a Linux box running Samba for the share. I would have to
> >> double check with my IT department on that. I should be able to get
> >> any information needed about the share to help workaround the issue.
> >
> > Knowing the source system O/S, version, sharing protocol and version,
> > and file system type would be helpful. ÂAlso, please provide the output
> > of /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo for the mounted path.
> >

> The system is a NetApp. This is the information that my IT guy gave me.
>
> 1)	System O/S and Version -  ONTAP 7.2.6.1P8
> 2)	Sharing protocol and version - CIFS
> 3)	File system type - WAFL (not really a file system according to wikipedia)
>
> And here is the info from getVolInfo
>
> Device Type        : 7
> Characteristics    : 10
> Volume Name        : <PCA>
> Serial Number      : 50512157
> Max Filenamelength : 255
> Filesystemname     : <NTFS>
> Flags              : 4000f
>   FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : TRUE
>   FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
>   FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : TRUE
>   FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : TRUE
>   FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : FALSE
>   FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
>   FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : FALSE
>   FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : TRUE
>   FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME       : FALSE
>   FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE  : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS  : FALSE

So, IIUC, youre'saying that the directories get renamed to this
temporary name, but they never disappear after rm -rf?  Are you
sure that no other process is accessing them?

Does Cygwin recognize the drive as netapp if you add a mount point for
it?  How to check:  If the drive has been mounted with a drive letter,
say X:, what does `mount' print as drive type of /cygdrive/x?  Or, if
the drive is used via UNC path, just mount it temporarily like this:

$ mount -f //server/share /mnt

And see what a `mount' command prints for the .mnt mount point:

$ mount

Corinna

Red Hat