Re: Regression in .exe extension handling

On Jun 28 21:54, Yaakov S wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 17:16 -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> > The problem is here - should install be open()ing "foo" (the script) or
> > "foo.exe" (the executable) as the source file for copying into bar/foo?
> >  Since it is never a good idea to have both an .exe and a script of the
> > same name in the same directory, is this really a regression, or just
> > bad behavior on mono's part?
>
> This is a regression: it worked just fine with earlier 1.7.x releases.
>
> > Remember, libtool was recently changed to avoid exactly this ambiguity.
>
> This is different: neither the wrapper nor assembly are executed in the
> builddir; they are just created there and installed into different
> locations.
>
> > Or should I be trying to patch coreutils (and/or someone patch cygwin1.dll)
> > to try harder to open the script instead of the .exe when the suffix-less
> > file conflicts with the .exe?
>
> It's definitely a bug (or two) somewhere:
>
> * "install foo" correctly installs 'foo' but the presence of foo.exe
> apparently fools something to add the .exe.
>
> * the .exe is being added when the file is clearly not a PE executable,
> nor a link thereto.
>
> Whether these bugs are coming from coreutils or cygwin, or both, I do
> not know.

It doesn't look like a problem in Cygwin.  Strace shows there's an
open("bar/foo.exe") call to create the file.

I assume it's the logic in install along the lines of

  stat("foo") shows that "foo" exists?
  yes -> stat("foo.exe") shows that "foo.exe" exists?
         yes -> so the original file is called "foo.exe".

Maybe the test should check for the entire struct stat to be identical
before making this decision?  Just an idea...

Corinna

Red Hat