Re: sed doesn't like LANG= anymore

On Thursday, May 20, 2010, Jurriaan wrote:
> A very long sed script that's been working for ages (back from the 1.5
> age) here has stopped working.
>
> It turned out sed doesn't like some strings anymore when environment
> variable LANG is empty. With LANG=ASCII, there are no problems.
>
> The actual text in the SED command is shown below as spaces, but it's a
> Swedish a with a small o on top of it, like this:
>
> sed -e"s/@a/ a/g;"
>
> where a is character 0xe5.
>
> Running with LANG=ASCII works, with LANG empty I get 'unterminated `s'
> command' from sed (which confused me for a while).

With empty LANG you're using the default UTF-8 encoding, where that
0xe5 byte constitutes an incomplete character. You need to either run
with a LANG setting that fits your script, e.g. C.ISO-8859-1, or
convert your script to UTF-8. I'm puzzled as to why LANG=ASCII would
have worked, since that's not a valid setting.

Andy