Re: NCurses

On 17/05/2010 15:50, Luis Vital wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I appologise for comming back to you but I am experiencing some problems
> with NCurses under Cygwin.

    Hi Luis,

  Please keep the discussion on the list, for all the reasons described at
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE.

> As they say on the documentation I wrote this program:
>
> #include <ncurses.h>
> int main()
> {
> 	initscr();			/* Start curses mode */
> 	printw("Hello World !!!");	/* Print Hello World */
> 	refresh();			/* Print it on to the real screen */
> 	getch();			/* Wait for user input */
> 	endwin();			/* End curses mode */
>
> 	return 0;
> }
>
> I compile it with: gcc Hello.c -lncurses
>
> But I got the folowing error messages:
>
> /tmp/ccnsdh1e.o:Hello.c:(.text+0x3c): undefined reference to `_stdscr'
> /tmp/ccnsdh1e.o:Hello.c:(.text+0x49): undefined reference to `_stdscr'

  That's peculiar, it shouldn't have worked at all.  The "ncurses.h" file
doesn't live in /usr/include directly, but in a subdir called
/usr/include/ncurses, so with your #include statement as you have it there, I get:

> $ gcc h.c  -lncurses
> h.c:1:21: error: ncurses.h: No such file or directory

when I try to compile your example.  If I change the example to #include
"ncurses/ncurses.h", I get a fully working compile.

  It seems possible you have a bogus ncurses.h in your /usr/include, for some
reason?  You should make sure you have installed the regular cygwin
libncurses-devel package (using setup.exe) to get the ncurses headers and link
libraries (maybe you should try reinstalling it even if you do already have it).

    cheers,
      DaveK