Re: On TMP, TEMP... variables

On 4/8/2010 1:03 PM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
I remember that there was some discussion on December[*] regarding these
environment variables. The conclusion was, if I remember correctly, that
Cygwin, by default, *does not set* them, like GNU/Linux systems.

Indeed my Windows installation sets them but Cygwin shows that they *are
not*:

$ echo $TEMP

$ echo $TMP

$ echo $TMPDIR

Now in http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-env.html I read:

"In addition to PATH, HOME, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, there are three other
environment variables which, if they exist in the Windows environment,
are converted to UNIX format: TMPDIR, TMP, and TEMP[...] If set, these
variables will be used by some Cygwin applications, possibly with
unexpected results."

These words seem to contradict the above statement. So, how is the 'matter'?

Cygwin doesn't set them, it just converts them to UNIX format if they're already set. But then, as the documentation goes on to say, the default ~/.bashrc unsets them. So I don't think there's any contradiction.

Ken