RE: 1.7.1: cvs version built in is unstable

The issue with the "cp" command has been resolved.  My netapp drive was not being correctly recognized as such by cygwin.  It was interpreted as a "cifs".  This has been corrected in 1.7.3

However, the original point of this thread was a problem with CVS.  This is not resolved.

To recap:

The situation:
I check out a module of my repository (located on a remote machine) and a handful of files do not get downloaded due to the "no such file" error described below.  I then try to update the same module and get the same error on the same files.  I check it out again and get exactly the same response on exactly the same files.
I have checked the permissions on the files in the repository.
I have removed some watches that were on some of the files.

Bottom line:
I have a very repeatable problem with no evidence of a cause I've found.

New information:

I have confirmed that the current CVS (1.12.13) in cygwin is the same as in cygwin 1.5.25
The ssh is different though, old = OpenSSH_5.1p1   new = OpenSSH_5.3p1

Also,

By setting:
CVS_RSH='C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\Tortoiseplink.exe'
alias cvs='/cygdrive/c/Program\ File\ \(x86\)/CVSNT/cvs.exe'

I can get CVS to work.

This is a hack and it works because I'm abandoning the built-in CVS.

Further, the only cvseditor I can get to work is the default "Notepad"

I'd like to get the native CVS working in cygwin.  It is the cleanest solution.  Any ideas on where I can go from here?

-Kevin