Re: filenames with characters that have the high bit set

David Byron:
> I suppose, but the point about \x18 not working with a character set that
> represents the desired codepoint wasn't clear. ÂNor was the bash syntax for
> using \x in general. ÂIt's in the bash man page and not cygwin-specific, but
> an example showing the gory details would have helped me at least.

Hmm, it certainly looks like it managed to confuse you, but more
detail on the \x18 stuff might mislead more people into thinking they
have to use it to access non-ASCII filenames.

>> What do you mean by up-arrow? I'm getting a question mark, because
>> that's what ls prints for non-printable characters by default. You can
>> choose various quoting styles using the --quoting style option.
>
> I mean the uparrow that ls prints with --show-control-chars.

Ah, that's a Windows speciality, where the control chars have a second
life as graphical symbols:
http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2005/02/26/381020.aspx.

>> > $ mkshortcut -n shortcut$'\xC3\xA9' plain; echo $?
>> > $ readshortcut shortcut$'\xE9'
>>
>> I'm afraid these aren't yet Unicode-ready, i.e. they still use Windows
>> "ANSI" APIs.
>
> Guess it's time to roll up my sleeves and write a patch.

That'd be great. Here's a starting point:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2010-01/msg00001.html

Andy