Re: Installing a "copy" of an installation on a new computer

On 10.03.2010 15:56, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 3/10/2010 2:38 AM, Olle Olsson wrote:
Hi,

I found the following
which might provide one practical solution. Will try this.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but since that was a fairly labor intensive way of doing it and came at a time when 'setup.exe' wasn't as equipped as it is today to handle this more directly, I would no longer advocate going that route. Using 'setup.exe' at the command line and specifying the packages you want is a better way to go.
As I understand the sparse description setup --help gives for -P, you would have to list all packages separately.
I don't feel that's easier than to use a slightly modified copy of installed.db.
An option to use a package list from a file (ignoring version information) would be helpful,
and a hint how to get that information from an existing installation.

Actually this reminds me of a script I made a few weeks ago to recover a damaged installed.db (not strictly related, sorry);
After I had switched setup target directories (for a second test installation of cygwin on a machine), somehow installed.db of my first installation was missing all my extra packages and setup wanted to install everything again, so I recovered installed.db from the package directory. Script attached in case it's of interest for anyone.

------
Thomas