Re: Installing a "copy" of an installation on a new computer

On 3/8/2010 6:00 PM, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
Olle Olsson sent the following at Monday, March 08, 2010 3:46 AM
Have good installations of cygwin on some computers. But these were
manually setup using the interactive cygwin setup tool. Always forgot to
install a couple of packages.

Can a fresh install be made using an existing installation as template?
Is there a way to use the contents of an existing /etc/setup to
download/install on a fresh machine. Or something like that.

That is, I want to do download/install in a more programmatic way, as an
alternative to a binary copy machine-to-machine.

You might think about just copying c:\cygwin.

Not there there's anything inherently wrong about this suggestion but I want to point out that going this route puts you firmly in the land of "you better know what you're doing". Installations duplicated like this can't be supported by this list. So if you're looking for a "sanctioned" way of automating this process, go with Jeremy's suggestion.

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-03/msg00224.html>

Holliston, MA 01746