Batch file code to launch rxvt pointed elsewhere than $HOME -- what's wrong with my code?

I'm trying to write batch scripts of the kind that start a Cygwin session in rxvt from the desktop, with the added feature that the session starts in a folder other than $HOME. I want to do this for two folders I use often.

I know urxvt has a -cd command, and thought rxvt in Cygwin did too. I tried this code
@echo off

C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin

start rxvt -display :0 -sl 2500 -sr -tn rxvt-cygwin-native -geometry 80x25 -font "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-14" -e /bin/bash --login -i -cd /cygdrive/c/blu/newest/

exit
The results are that I see an RXVT window for about a blink or two, then nothing. With slight modifications (such as invoking a shell script -- tested and working otherwise -- to do the directory change for me), I'm getting "flashes" or "there-&-gones" by both the Command prompt and rxvt.

I have only found one archived post on the mailing list where someone was trying to do exactly this thing. It was posted in the first half of 2009, if I remember correctly. No solution was posted to that thread.

I find it hard to believe this isn't possible, or that such a thing as the "right combination" of batch and shell script code can't accomplish it. I'd have to be persuaded this was the case before I gave up altogether, with information and/or insights that drew upon the flaws of Cygwin or Windows or both in tandem.

Hope someone can give this another look and offer advice.

SJ Wright

--
There are no guarantees in anything in software. Software is written by people, and people are flawed; therefore, software is flawed. When using one or another piece of software to accomplish a task, a good rule of thumb is, There are the same number of headaches, just different flavors. - Distillation of two observations made by my brother and me within the last decade