Re: Looking for the 'stdout' of a Windows application

2009/12/13 Marc Girod:
> I run a proprietary application, IBM Rational cleartool.exe from cygwin.
> In some usage scenarios which I am now interested in, it prompts the user
> for an interactive decision.
> I do not get this prompt under cygwin (either X --emacs shell or xterm-- or
> the Cygwin terminal.

Surprised it doesn't work in the Cygwin console, unless you've got
CYGWIN=tty set? The problem likely is that cleartool.exe expects to
get input from a Windows console but is actually connected to a Cygwin
pty.

I'm currently working on a little utility for this sort of situation.
It's called 'conin' and translates Cygwin pty input to Windows console
input. Source is available at
http://mintty.googlecode.com/svn/utils/conin.c and a Cygwin 1.7
executable can be found at
http://mintty.googlecode.com/files/conin-0.0.1.zip.

Run it as a wrapper for your program, e.g.:

$ conin cleartool

More info at http://groups.google.com/group/mintty-discuss/browse_thread/thread/1f9cf480117b8a0b

Andy