Re: Cannot get 'Hello World' to compile

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 09:42:57AM -0700, ken j wrote:

>Mark J. Reed wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:34 AM, ken j wrote:
>>>BTW I've found that I do NOT need to type './' but
>>> rather only '/' to get an exe file to run in Cygwin.
>>
>> That's only true if the executable is in the root directory (c:\cygwin
>> in Windows, / in Cygwin).
>
>OK I see that now - I had been moving the compiled programs from
>C:\cgwin\home\username to c:\cygwin, actually because I didn't know about
>the './' command.
>
>Mark J. Reed wrote:
>>
>>> Also, all of my compiled executables go to c:\cygwin\home\username, not
>>> the
>>> directory I'm in, which is c:\cygwin.
>>
>> That makes no sense.   g++ -o file will put the executable in that
>> file in the current directory.  If it's going elsewhere, then you're
>> telling it to put it elsewhere.
>
>My mistake. I was IN the c:\cygwin\home\username directory, which is why the
>exe's went there. I then copied some of them to c:\cygwin, which made me
>able to run some with just '/' instead of './'
>

>Mark J. Reed wrote:
>>
>> 1) Why do you keep reporting Windows paths when talking about Cygwin?
>> You're running these commands inside a Cygwin bash window, right?
>
>This illustrates my lack of understanding how paths work in cygwin. Yes all
>this programming effort is being done in a cygwin bash window.

It isn't paths in cygwin.  It is paths in UNIX.  That's what Cygwin is
emulating.

>Mark J. Reed wrote:
>>
>> 2) what does the command 'pwd' tell you?
>
>/home/username

I'm not seeing a whole-lot of cygwin-specific issues here.  The cygwin
list is not here to help people get up to speed on how to program or how
to use UNIX.

I've been hoping that I won't have to step in and be mean but I would
appreciate it if you would find some other forum for working out your
beginner programming issues.

cgf