Re: Cannot get 'Hello World' to compile

Mark J. Reed wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:34 AM, ken j wrote:
>>BTW I've found that I do NOT need to type './' but
>> rather only '/' to get an exe file to run in Cygwin.
>
> That's only true if the executable is in the root directory (c:\cygwin
> in Windows, / in Cygwin).

OK I see that now - I had been moving the compiled programs from
C:\cgwin\home\username to c:\cygwin, actually because I didn't know about
the './' command.

Mark J. Reed wrote:

>> Also, all of my compiled executables go to c:\cygwin\home\username, not
>> the
>> directory I'm in, which is c:\cygwin.
>
> That makes no sense.   g++ -o file will put the executable in that
> file in the current directory.  If it's going elsewhere, then you're
> telling it to put it elsewhere.

My mistake. I was IN the c:\cygwin\home\username directory, which is why the
exe's went there. I then copied some of them to c:\cygwin, which made me
able to run some with just '/' instead of './'

Mark J. Reed wrote:

> 1) Why do you keep reporting Windows paths when talking about Cygwin?
> You're running these commands inside a Cygwin bash window, right?

This illustrates my lack of understanding how paths work in cygwin. Yes all
this programming effort is being done in a cygwin bash window.

Mark J. Reed wrote:

> 2) what does the command 'pwd' tell you?

/home/username