Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: run-1.1.11-1

On Aug 14 14:16, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Charles Wilson wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >> Actually, what I told above is nonsense anyway.  What I saw was the
> >> flickering cmd window from a urxvt-X startup without run.  With run it
> >> doesn't start at all for me on W7, unless I start it from an existing
> >> console window.  And in that case it doesn't matter if the
> >> CREATE_NO_WINDOW flag is given or not, it always takes 100% CPU.  So,
> >> scratch that, it's no solution at all.
> >
> > Rats.  So much for a "good enough" workaround.
>
> OK, the attached patch (on top of run-1.1.11) seems to correct the
> problem in my testing.
>
> For testing, I:
>   1) used the W7 "workaround" code, even though I was using Vista.
>   2) This caused 100% CPU
>   3) then, adding the attached patch, I tried again (with the W7
> "workaround" code still enabled) and did NOT see 100% CPU.
>
> So, I'm hopeful that this fixes the problem for real, on W7.  However,
> with one exception, the production version of 1.1.12 for <= WinXP will
> continue to use the "old" code.  That exception is:
>
> for WinXP and above, I forcibly enabled the used "pipes" -- that is,
> explicitly creating new Windows Handles and setting them up as the
> child's stdio.  The reason for this is, even the "old" run code would
> hit 100% CPU in the following scenario, on WinXP:
>
>    1) from a bash prompt in a cmd window
>    2) run urxvt-X.exe -display 127.0.0.1:0.0
>
> gave 100% CPU, although launching urxvt-X from a shortcut using the same
> invocation did not do so.  With this small change, that problem is
> corrected, too.
>
> Corinna, can you give this a try? (I'm happy to send you a compiled
> version of the modified run.exe if that helps).

I just built it myself, and this looks pretty good.  I can start xterm
and urxvt-X wjust fine without a flickering cmd window.

However, what does NOT work anymore is to start the X server.  I had
to start it manually for testing xterm/urxvt.

Given that the X server shortcut is just a `run /usr/bin/startxwin.bat',
is it possible that the new incarnation doesn't start cmd correctly?

Corinna

Red Hat