Event ID:           577
Date:               7/8/2009
Time:              4:30:17 PM
User:              <domain>\orderworker
Computer:      OMS1
Privileged Service Called:
Server:                       NT Local Security Authority / Authentication Service
Service:                      LsaRegisterLogonProcess()
Primary User Name:    OMS1$
Primary Domain:         <domain>
Primary Logon ID:       (0x0,0x3E7)
Client User Name:      orderworker
Client Domain:
Client Logon ID:         (0x0,0xF1C649B8)
Privileges:                 SeTcbPrivilege

This seems to confirm that it's an sporadic authentication issue between our server and our domain controllers, not cron or cygwin-related.  I'm going to try to track this issue down and failing that, may try building a special version of cron to bypass setuid per your suggestion.  I should be able to handle that, but if I have trouble, I may drop you a line.

Thanks again!
Rajiv