Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: git-1.6.3.1-1, git{k,-gui,-completion,-svn}-1.6.3.1-1

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> wrote:

> A new release of git, 1.6.3.1-1, has been uploaded to the cygwin 1.7
> release area. ?This replaces 1.6.2.4-2 as current.
>
> NEWS:
> =====
> This is a new upstream major release. ?I'm attaching the release notes;
> see also the package documentation in /usr/share/doc/git/.
>
> When compiled out of the box, the upstream git maintainers cater to older
> cygwin releases, and intentionally disable certain features that have been
> reported on their mailing list, even though they work with the latest
> cygwin. ?Therefore, this build turns those features back on. ?However, it
> means that this version does assume that you are not using FAT or FAT32 to
> hold your repositories, since they do not store file permissions very
> accurately.

> ============
> Git is popular version control system designed to handle very large
> projects with speed and efficiency; it is used mainly for various open
> source projects, most notably the Linux kernel.
>
> Git falls in the category of distributed source code management tools,
> similar to e.g. GNU Arch or Monotone (or BitKeeper in the proprietary
> world). Every Git working directory is a full-fledged repository with full
> revision tracking capabilities, not dependent on network access or a
> central server.
>
> UPDATE:
> =======
> To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on the
> http://cygwin.com/ web page. ?This downloads setup.exe to your system.
> Save it and run setup, answer the questions and pick up 'git', 'gitk',
> 'git-gui', and/or 'git-completion' from the 'Devel' category.
>
> DOWNLOAD:
> =========
> Note that downloads from sources.redhat.com (aka cygwin.com) aren't
> allowed due to bandwidth limitations. ?This means that you will need to
> find a mirror which has this update, please choose the one nearest to you:
> http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html
>
> QUESTIONS:

> Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
> starting at this URL.
>
> GIT v1.6.3.1 Release Notes
> ==========================
>
> Fixes since v1.6.3
> ------------------
>
> * "git checkout -b new-branch" with a staged change in the index
> ?incorrectly primed the in-index cache-tree, resulting a wrong tree
> ?object to be written out of the index. ?This is a grave regression
> ?since the last 1.6.2.X maintenance release.
>
> GIT v1.6.3 Release Notes
> ========================
>
> With the next major release, "git push" into a branch that is
> currently checked out will be refused by default. ?You can choose
> what should happen upon such a push by setting the configuration
> variable receive.denyCurrentBranch in the receiving repository.

> [...]

Hi,

This version of git is still unusable for actions requiring remote
access (for example, pull and clone). Output is, as already reported
multiple times on this list:

remote: Counting objects: 19973, done.
fatal: read error on input: Bad address.99 KiB | 103 KiB/s

This leaves me using Cygwin's git for things such as commits and local
working copy changes, but msysgit for everything else (which requires
"git.cmd" to be used).

Regards,

Matthew