Re: Upgrade to cygwin 1.7 seemed to trash bash profile, path

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Larry Hall wrote:
> Aaron Humphrey wrote:
>>
>> So, in the end, reinstalling didn't do much. ?And I got a bunch of
>> "Cannot open (null) for reading" (error not guaranteed to be
>> accurate), usually when it was trying to install gzipped man pages or
>> something. ?(Times like these I wonder why I persist in downloading
>> every cygwin package on the mirror when I use only a fraction of them.
>> ?Compulsive behaviour, I guess.)
>
> Perhaps there is something interesting to be found in setup.log.full.

Could be; I didn't have to a chance to look at it.

> My impression is that you were installing from the Internet rather
> than downloading and then installing. ?Is that right?

I was, and I had chosen a different mirror last time I installed so it
had to re-download more than it really needed to.  I did also get the
message that the download had not completed properly, but when I asked
it to rerun it only downloaded two packages and then got the same
error.

>> In any case, I was able to fix the problem by recreating /etc/profile
>> from /etc/skel. ?Why /etc/profile got trashed by the upgrade to 1.7, I
>> don't know, but apparently it did. ?So now I once again have PATH
>> initialized properly and my bash prompt looks normal.

I think I meant /etc/defaults here, not /etc/skel.

> Was there an '/etc/profile' file in any form before you recreated it?

No, there wasn't.  I don't remember if I had ever modified it before
it got trashed, either.

--
 --Alfvaen (Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
 Song In My Head--Kid Creole & The Coconuts:The Love We Have