duplicate *.exe commands

i'm coming from a *nix background, but i'm finding that cygwin makes things suck less on windows.

one of the things that really annoys me are the duplicate *.exe commands...
cat & cat.exe
awk & awk.exe
sed & sed.exe

what a mess, especially when i use auto-complete in my shell.

i'm curious, could it cause problems if i delete all "*.exe" files from my command hash? or should i first check that it's really a duplicate? ie;
if i have "/path/to/foo" and "/path/to/foo.exe" then foo.exe goes away
if i have "/path/to/bar.exe", but not "/path/to/bar", then bar.exe stays

it seems like the same list of things that get pruned either way, but for the sake of portability i'm wondering if there would be problems just getting rid of everything *.exe.

thanks...

-- ...atom

 http://atom.smasher.org/
 762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808