Re: [1.7] Support for CJK Character Sets

On 2009/04/06 20:04, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > After some long mulling over this problem, I gave up on supporting JIS.

> > So, I removed JIS support from Cygwin again. Given that SJIS and eucJP
> > are both available, this shoudn't pose a big problem for Japanese users.

	Ok, I understand. I was starting to write a mail about the
differences among CP50220-50222, but I will quit it.

> > This is fixed now in CVS.  The fact that eucJP knows triplebyte
> > sequences but the Windows eucJP codepage 20932 does not (converting
> > these widechars to incompatible doublebyte sequences instead) was not
> > really helpful but as far as I can test it, it appears to work now.

	Thanks for the fix. If the double byte eucJP works, I think it
is ok.

	Actually, there are several variants of eucJP. Microsoft made
some modifications to the original to create codepage 20932 and 51932.
Triple byte one is another extension. If the common parts are supported,
I think it is enough. The common parts are

http://unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/OBSOLETE/EASTASIA/JIS/JIS0201.TXT
(Add 0x8e00 to change Column #1 into EUC-JP)

http://unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/OBSOLETE/EASTASIA/JIS/JIS0208.TXT
(Add 0x8080 to change Column #2 into EUC-JP)

These two are the common parts. If

http://unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/OBSOLETE/EASTASIA/JIS/JIS0212.TXT
(Add 0x8f8080 to change Column #1 into EUC-JP, that is, triple bytes.)

is also supported, it will be nice (This JIS X 0212 specifies Kanji's
used less frequently than JIS X 0208). But JIS X 0212 is not always
supported in all implementations. (According to
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/EUC-JP, triple byte is not supported in
CP51932.)

> > Please note that eucJP does not work by default on Windows XP and
> > earlier OSes!  At least not on the so-called "western languages"
> > installations, US, French, Italian, whatever.  The reason is that the

> > So, if you're running XP or earlier, unless you installed CP 20932,
> > eucJP support in Cygwin is as broken as in the underlying Windows.

	Then probably we are the exception to have it installed by default.

C:\>chcp 20932
Active code page: 20932

C:\>

> > Thanks for this report,

	SJIS and eucJP supports are good progress. I will be looking forward to cygwin-1.7.0-46.

--
neomjp