Re: setup.exe crashes when removing xorg-server

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 9:05 PM, <tmcd@panix.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009, Mirko Vukovic
> <barely.remembered-in.time@to.munge.this> wrote:
> > After (actually during) my last cygwin update, the installation
> > procedure crashes when setup tries to uninstall xorg-server. ?I am
> > running on windows XP
>
> Is the "crash" something like a window popping up saying that
> setup.exe has encountered errors and must be terminated? ?If so: I
> recently posted a screed when I got hit by that.

Exactly.? I should have been more explicit.

Now when I restart setup (using `install from local directory'), it
crashes once the MD5's have been checke.  It crashes when setup tries
to uninstall xorg-server.? This is the first package that is being
uninstalled.

I then get two types of crashes - I have not been able to figure out
under what circumstances one or the other type happens.

In one, a window `MS Visual C++ Runtime Library' `Runtime Error' to
the effect taht setup.exe has requested Runtime to terminate it ina an
unusual way.

In another, I get `setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close ...'

But see below for good news

> > I have updated to the latest setup.exe (2.573.2.3), and rebooted. ?I
> > do not see any x-processes in either task manager or windows
> > services. ?What are my other options other than a complete
> > re-install? ?(I looked to see if I could manually remove the
> > package, but I did not see any posts on that). ?I also tried hiding
> > bash.lst.gz, but that did not help.
>
> Experts, would it help, or at least not hurt, to hide
> xorg-server.lst.gz? ?I would think that hiding bash.lst.gz would help
> only if it crashed updating bash, not xorg-server.

Your comment made me look at xorg-server.lst.gz.  That file was
probably corrupt (zless could not read it).  Once I removed
xorg-server.lst.gz, I was able to complete the installation.

Thanks

Mirko