Re: sshd w/o admin?

Aaron Davies wrote:
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

Aaron Davies wrote:

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
  ^^^^^^
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>  Thanks!

is this even possible in gmail? if not, i'll do it manually for now.

Not sure. Probably not. But I don't know much about gmail so I wouldn't put too much stock in anything I might say about it.

<snip>

I tried moving all my keys aside (outside of ~/.ssh). Now "ssh
localhost" on the local box takes my password, prints the banner, then
quits with "Connection to localhost closed."

% ssh localhost
adavies@localhost's password:
Last login: Thu Feb 19 10:41:39 2009 from localhost
Connection to localhost closed.

The same setreuid error is left in the event log

Why exactly does it need to setreuid to me when it's already me? This
sshd process is started by and running under the same id it's trying
to become.

I'm not sure. I thought this was because it was trying to use pub-key authentication, which is why I suggested password. So I can't help here.

Also, FWIW, using a remote drive as your home adds a level of
complication.  You may want to try to create a local home directory,
point to this in your '/etc/passwd', and rerun 'ssh-user-config' if
you continue to have problems.

I'll give this a try next, I guess.

It's worth a shot. If you get things working that way, you can always try going back to your remote home and set 'smbntsec' in your CYGWIN environment variable.

Holliston, MA 01746