Re: Problems with pair key auth and sftp server

Benjamin,

Please try to keep the quoting format.  It makes it easier to follow the
discussion and pick out your replies to my questions.  Also, it is
preferable to reply to the messages as this maintains the message
threading.

Benjamin StÃssel wrote:
And exactly how did you do this? What were your answers to the questions?
Is 'sshd' actually running now?

about the answers I used "ssh-host-config -y" so every answer was yes. And the sshd is running. Except that it throws the error about the sftp-server.

Unless you had the foresight to answer 'sshd-server' when asked for a user name for the service, this won't work for you. I recommend you rerun 'ssh-host-config' without the '-y' and just answer the questions. You can just take the defaults.

Hm, why is this?

I switched the user to set up the key pair for my own user and not the local admin. As I do not want that the local admin can connect except for console.

I'd recommend working with a local user first.

RSAAuth is activated by default. Why are you changing things here before you know the defaults work?

RSAAuth was in the config as comment with a # in front.

That means the setting that's in the comment is the default.

Why not use 'ssh-user-config' to create your user SSH config files with proper locations, permissions, etc.?

I did use the ssh-user-config up front, forgot to mention. And it did not work afterwards.

That's where we want to start looking at the problem then. You should reinstate things as you had them, though using a local user, and we can proceed from there, assuming changing the user running the service to 'sshd-server' doesn't resolve your problems.

If you need anything like config or so let me know.

I've already asked for this information:

We're really going to need to know what you're doing exactly and what
your configuration is:

<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

And in case this also was glossed over:

I'd really recommend using the existing utilities for configuring 'sshd'
and 'ssh' and testing out your new configuration with 'ssh'.  This may
not be as you want it or the exact interface you're looking for but it
will help narrow down the myriad of possibilities.  I'd also recommend
looking at the email archives for others who may have had similar issues
to what you're experiencing.  There's allot of OpenSSH discussion and
help there.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746