Re: Pointers on Making a Cygwin CD (including source)?

Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2009-01-07, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh AT cygwin DOT
com> wrote:
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>  Thanks.

Grant Edwards wrote:
I need to put a Cygwin snapshot on CD[*].

To that end I've been searching the mailing list archive. So
far the scripts wirtten by Vin Shelton look like they're
awfully close to what I want.

http://www.Cygwin.com/ml/Cygwin/2007-03/msg00606.html
This link goes nowhere for me.

Doh! My spell-checker capitalized Cygwin. It should be

Got it. Looks OK.

The Cygwin DLL is meant to be backward compatible through the
1.5 series.  There will, of course, be a difference moving
from 1.5 to 1.7.  After that, later 1.7 releases will be
compatible with earlier ones.  And by compatible, I mean
binary compatible.  No rebuild necessary.  If you find this is
not the case with 1.7, then that would be good to report.
Since 1.5 is a dead end, it doesn't make allot of sense to
report these kinds of problems for it.  Of course, as you
note, other packages aren't necessarily compatible through all
their versions or even their minor version bumps.  If you need
to support a particular set of Cygwin tools, it can make sense
to lock the set you're working with.  Of course, you'll still
need to contend with users that already may have Cygwin
installed and the version conflicts there.

Users who already have Cygwin installed are probably savvy enough to build the tools from sources. If that doesn't work then they're out of luck, and should just do things right and install Linux.

And, as you noted, you need to distribute the source of your
application

I don't see what my application has to do with anything. Just because I compile an application with gcc, that doesn't place the application under the GPL.

OK, I missed that part then.

Holliston, MA 01746