Re: MinTTY

* Christopher Faylor (Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:05:35 -0500)>
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 11:44:36PM +0000, Andy Koppe wrote:
> > Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >> I wouldn't mind making MinTTY a regular cygwin package.  It sounds like it
> >> would get enough votes.
> >
> > That would be great. I'll need to read up on the package submission
> > requirements and process. Unless someone would like to volunteer as the
> > MinTTY package maintainer?
> >
> >> In fact, if it operates like an xterm on Windows
> >> maybe it should even be the default program that is invoked by cygwin.bat.
> >
> > I'd certainly like that, although unfortunately MinTTY doesn't quite fit
> > the bill yet due to Issue 4 about leaving the console window open. And of
> > course it needs a lot more testing.
>
> That's always an irritating issue.

?? That's how Windows Cmd.exe works. If rxvt does something different
then it does some magic and it would definitely irritating to me if cmd
would /not/ keep a Window open until mintty is closed. If you want the
"old" behaviour of the command.com/Windows 9X environment, you have to
use "start".

> > Speaking of cygwin.bat, is that actually still needed? I find that bash can
> > be invoked more directly through a shortcut, and working directory and icon
> > can be set there too. The same works for mintty.
>
> I think the only reason to use cygwin.bat is to set the cygwin
> environment variable before bash starts.  There's no way to do that
> with a shortcut is there?

Not just for the shortcut. Windows has a GUI setting for user and system
variables (which is quite lenthy to access).

Thorsten