Rationale for line-ending recommendation?

Can anyone explain why the installer began recommending using *nix line
ending conventions?  DOS-compatible endings have always "just worked"
for me and I've heard of lots of problems doing it the now-recommended
way.  See
http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3ca61d44020812070523t3778f924m1a179f75d879775c%40mail.gmail.com%3e
for reference

--