Re: Avoid duplicate names in /proc/registry (which may crash find) ?

2008/12/2 Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net>:

> [...] the problem is [...] that Windows allows the registry to violate
> filesystem semantics by giving the same name to distinct contents.

If I'm allowed to add some further examples (which are probably known
to most, but maybe not to all), registry value names allow *any*
Unicode character (including NUL, sic! - thanks UNICODE_STRING), so
the following is completely ambiguous, even though valid:

/proc/registry/.../parentkey/subkey/value/with/slashes

where the actual value name is "value/with/slashes" (sic!).

That's from Win32 (and POSIX) file system functions taking one
argument for the file name, and the Win32 registry functions taking
two distinct arguments to form a full path (and non-ASCIIZ
length-prefixed UNICODE_STRING).

CS