Re: Cygwin Everyone group permissions and Vista "shared files" (*not* shared folders)

On Nov  9 23:13, charles5687 wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote:
> > The real answer is:  It can't be prevented and there are no plans to add
> > code to prevent it, since these read permissions are required to get
> > POSIX-like permissions.
>
> I'm not sure I follow. Does this mean there are no plans to support
> Windows Vista and every future release of Windows by extension? Are the

Huh?

> Cygwin devs at least aware of the serious problems with manipulating files
> created by Cygwin (with share attributes) inside Vista's explorer?

Yes.  But it's a minor problem.  It only affects files in the user's
Windows homepath.  All the rest of your drive(s) are not affected at
all.  And you should better create a Cygwin specific home dir anyway.

> Every file with these share attributes take 1000's of times longer to
> delete,move,copy
> because of their shared-ness-- this seems like an issue that should be
> looked
> into for a project whose primary mission is Windows interoperability. Any

You got something wrong.  POSIX compliance is the primary mission.
Windows interoperability is a nice extra.

> Vista
> issue with Cygwin should be considered a Cygwin issue by extension,
> especially
> serious usability issues like the above.

So much for your opinion.  In my opinion it's a terrible move by
Microsoft to slow down every operation in the user's homepath so much
just to look for the "Everyone" ACE and to visualize it's existence.
Independently from Cygwin.

> Now for the constructive part of my post: Is the following suggestion from
> another thread on this issue not feasible to implement?
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin@cygwin.com/msg84231.html
>
> Specifically, "I suggested that Cygwin changes it's
> attribute handling to leave out the local/None and Everyone groups
> completely, whenever they have no access permissions."

No, it's not feasible.  If you leave out the Everyone ACE, the
permissions are not POSIX-like anymore.  Leaving out means that others
have no permissions at all.  Not even to see the permissions.  That's
not correct from a POSIX POV.  Even if others don't have rwx
permissions, they need at least FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES and READ_DAC
permissions.  This requires to have an Everyone ACE.

And this is not a Cygwin-only problem, install SUA(*) and see what it
does with respect to POSIX permissions and Everyone ACEs...

Corinna

(*) "Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications", comes with Vista
    Ultimate/Enterprise and Windows 2008.

Red Hat